Symptoms of allergic rhinitis or hay fever can range from annoying to somewhat debilitating but in many cases may be managed or reduced without over-the-counter or prescription medication. The most effective nondrug solution is to avoid exposure to the allergy triggers in the first place.
If you suffer from seasonal (tree, grass, and ragweed pollens) or environmental (cigarette smoke, dust mites, mold, pet dander) allergies, these drug-free treatments and at-home remedies may provide just the relief you need.
- Limit contact with animals that trigger your allergy symptoms.
- Remove pet hair and dust from living areas frequently.
- Consider an air purifier equipped with a HEPA filter.
- Change furnace filter in accordance with manufacturer-recommended schedule.
- Avoid opening windows, instead use an air conditioner as needed.
- Thoroughly shower to wash off potential allergens.
- Clean and change out sheets and blankets weekly.
- Remain indoors when pollen counts are reported at higher levels.
- Keep a pollen mask on hand for outdoor tasks.
- Prohibit smoking in the house or apartment.
- Clean furniture and floors regularly, and keep pets off furniture.
- Repair indoor leaks and optimize venting to help reduce risk of mold.
If allergy symptoms persist or are interfering with your everyday activities, it’s important to seek professional medical attention. Our ear, nose, and throat experts can conduct a comprehensive diagnostic evaluation and tailor a solution to your specific needs. So don’t wait. Contact us to schedule a consultation today.